Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Whose showtime is it?

Shortly after Amazon's announcement of unbox, Apple is starting with their iTV service, also known as Showtime (watch Steve Jobs' announcement). While I do not really see the advantage over renting a movie, given the (still) considerable download time, I am wondering what's next in terms of collaborative and interactive entertainment. Also, I suppose there will be other players in the market - but who's going to win? While I understand that music downloads have threatened the music business, I am not sure if media downloads will seriously affect the movie industry - but that's just a guess until I am proven wrong.

Update (1): CED Magazine has some comments on this that are worth reading.
Update (2): We may probably soon see Google Videos on our home TV as Eric Schmidt and Steve Jobs are in close communication.

No comments: