Monday, July 31, 2006

Web 2.0 and collaborative software development?

I have to admit that I was always a bit skeptical about open source collaborative software development above operating system level. I am not sure whether this has changed. I am just beginning to think again about this, as I found out that Google has just started Google Code. It certainly is not the only software repository around, if I look at alternatives which have been around for far longer, such as sourceforge.net.

My question, then, revolves around the issue what content creation and software development have in common - or, if you want to express it with buzzwordws: what can Web 2.0 and open source development learn from each other? While it may be annoying if I find a Wikipedia article that is not up to date or does not match with the quality I would expect from the Encyclopedia Britannica, who's going to help me if the software I am using is not working properly?

I admit I need some more thinking about that issue, and perhaps some pointers. On a side note, what's the relationship between Google Code and Project Hosting?

No comments: